Just a quick followup to the article about building game collection software and all of the headaches associated with that.

I was kind of concerned about how well LibreOffice Base handled the stuff. I was especially concerned how LO kept crashing all the time when using the database document, but then I realised LO was crashing all the time anyway. =) But I found out that actually exporting the data from HSQLDB is very easy:

SCRIPT 'whateverfile.sql';

…so I just tinkered a little bit with the format, and slurped the bastard in a PostgreSQL database. And then I started writing a front-end in Ruby on Rails. My first Rails experience was pre-1.0 and I hadn’t really touced Rails since early 2.x days, so this was, at first, an experience in pain. Then I just sort of shrugged and went “hey, this isn’t that different, actually, it just has some trendy shit. JavaScript compilers? To hell with that.”

But after a few hours of tinkering I had a fully working database again. I had even renamed some badly named columns and added a few interesting features, like “last edited” timestamp and Markdown formatting for game notes. In the terminology used by the Rails creator, this warrants a hearty “Whoops!”.

Anyway, the game database software isn’t really in any condition to run on the Internet yet. It’s basically just a quick port of the single-user application. You fire up the Rails server and can see all the stuff in the database and create, edit and delete records. No user authentication, no security model to speak of.

And all that stuff is coming eventually. It’s not really that difficult to add.

But unlike the LibreOffice prototype, whose design is kinda difficult to share, the source code for this application is actually available already. I’m calling it GameSharder. Just be really, really careful about using this on production use, because there’s bound to be stupidity in it after just a single work day of developent. I’ll make sure the data migrations keep working forward, though.